On Making Friends

I did not do a good job of making friends when I moved to DC. Actually, I tried at first, going on tons of friend dates, but most people either moved after the summer or lived in Virginia which is a bridge too far to cross. (All of a sudden I understood all those Seinfeld references about having to take two trains to get to a boyfriends house or dating someone with a different area code--its too much to ask!) Eventually I met the right people--friends who tried harder than I did to make and stay friends with me, and full groups of friends who graciously let Craig and me into their circle. We also made some amazing friends during Craig's years at Pittsburgh Seminary who we've stood by at weddings, ordinations, and graduations. So things worked out friend-wise.

Still, I was determined to do better this move, and prioritized reaching out and getting connected early on. I found running buddies through the GirlCrewEdinburgh Facebook, and we've met up with friends of friends, signed up for sports, book groups, and other activities to connect with students or student spouses we might not otherwise run into.

And while all relationships take work, some just fall into place really naturally. Early on we found an awesome little group of friends who I worried would grow sick of us or each other by now but for some reason actually said yes recently to planning a trip together this spring.

During a season when everything is an adjustment and sometimes that's really hard, I couldn't be more thankful for the kind of friends who'll take turns hosting dinner, participate in a who-can-hold-out-longest-before-turning-on-the-heating contest, allow you to literally turn off the lights to signal "I've had enough of talking to you and its time to go to bed now" and who are, like you, both committed to eating less meat, and totally down for wing night.


Comments

  1. Yay for friends! We loved meeting this crew. Enjoy making memories with them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend in Paris

France & Germany

Snow Days