The Heatwave & The Haar

In May I posted about "Scottish Summer" as if I knew what I was talking about. Actually, I still stand by the idea that there are two seasons here--a long, dark winter and a summer filled with late, perfect evenings. But I've since learned two more summer terms:


This is the haar. (You know it's serious fog when it blurs out giant metal bridges.) And even though I witnessed several crystal-clear, Goldilocks-temperature days in Queensferry this May, I brought my brother and sister-in-law out on the water in the weather pictured above.

There have been days when I've needed jeans, socks, and a jacket, and days when I'm positively roasting in shorts and a t-shirt. Those days probably came right after another or were the same day.

Today it's been roasting. We're in the middle of a seriously long heat wave. Temperatures are only in the 70s but it feels hella hot. Are we somehow closer to the sun? Is it the lack of air conditioning? Is it because all the Brits do is talk about the weather so you notice it more? Is it just that I really hate hot weather so all hot weather feels the same? Anyway, it is not usually this hot here (or dry); it is record-setting.

I'm trying not to complain though because the city does look beautiful in the sunshine and it's not dark till nearly 11, encouraging me to take advantage of Edinburgh's beautiful green spaces while I can.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend in Paris

France & Germany

Snow Days