At the start of February, we went to Inverness to celebrate Craig completing his second major paper, and to explore a place we'd only traveled through before. Inverness is a bit of a hub into the highlands--there are lots of cool places you can visit nearby or by traveling through. We'd been through before on our way to Skye. This time we took a bus from Inverness to Culloden Battlefield, the site of last battle of the Jacobite Rising, where the Jacobites were ultimately defeated. We also strolled down the streets and canals of Inverness browsed their museums and the world's best used bookstore, and consumed lots of pizza and craft beer (that's really all it takes to make me happy.) The train ride there rolling through snow covered hills was actually one of my favorite parts of the trip. Who knew we'd get to see so much snow in Edinburgh a month later?
My parents came to visit the week before Christmas--our first real visitors since moving. I love putting together travel itineraries when I travel somewhere or when someone travels to see me. Even though my dad was unknowingly suffering from strep throat during this trip, (he was taking allergy pills for a "runny nose") we managed to pack in a bunch of fun stuff. The highlight was probably just laughing a lot together mostly as we tried our "best" Scottish accents, and watching my dad run around like a kid, enjoying his first non-US vacation. We did a walking tour of Old Town where we live, a full day in Queensferry and Dalmeny where I work, and a day trip to St. Andrews. We went inside the Castle, hiked up Arthur's Seat, poked around museums and Christmas markets, and saw about every square inch of St. Giles, and some of New College. We ate haggis, fish & chips, sticky toffee pudding, & so much more. We drank whiskey that was apparently strong enoug...
I woke up one morning and I was 30 years old, walking down a cold and quiet High Street, in search of bacon rolls (and meds for my virally infected husband). I have a memory of being a kid on the school playground and learning that your "golden" birthday is the one where you are turning the same age as the day you were born. Since I was born on the 30th of March, my 30th birthday is my golden one. Having calculated this, I realized--30 is the age I want to be. And I've been saying this for at more than two decades now. I've been anticipating this day for a long time. Anyone who knows me knows that me + that kind of expectation is a recipe for a disaster. About this time last year, I realized that my 30th would fall on Good Friday--not the most appropriate day for celebrating and not the most convenient day for celebrating when you and your partner both work in the church. I considered letting today pass without fanfare and had thought of planning an Alice in Wond...
Comments
Post a Comment