One Year (and one month and one week)

We made it! We're feeling so much more comfortable in our own skin here after completing the first full year. Last year was an amazing adventure but also a year of transitions--everything was new, everything was a first, everything felt a bit clunky, a bit foreign. Even though we always planned on staying for the 3+ year PhD after completing the 1-year MTh, we kind of felt like there was an exit route after year one. One month into year two and it feels like we're really doing this, really living here. Today we feel settled, we feel at home.

(Pictured here: not our home.)









On our official one year here anniversary, we celebrated at the Edinburgh Military Tattoo. I feel like this event is hard to describe and based on people's descriptions I wasn't actually sure we'd like it. But it seemed like something you have to do once and it felt celebratory, so I thought it was a good excuse to go. We did kind of make fun of it to start, but it turned into a really entertaining show and we truly enjoyed it.

Over dinner that night we talked about highs and lows and lessons and expectations and random things about the year, but five weeks later I actually don't remember anything we said.

Since then we've been so busy with work and paperwork and seeing family and friends who've been in town. We're really trying to find our rhythm for the next several weeks before a short fall break. Today we enjoyed a rare free Saturday strolling the city centre and eating really delicious food. It feels like fall and we even figured out how to watch college football thanks to ESPN Player.

Because everything feels normal instead of new now, I don't feel like I have as much to share here, but I am going to try to update this quarterly from here on out, with maybe a few random additional posts here and there. Mostly I guess I'm doing this for me, but I hope a few other people find it entertaining and/or interesting too.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend in Paris

France & Germany

Snow Days