My grandad died

My grandad died surrounded by his four siblings singing him hymns, his wife of 66 years and his daughters holding his hands. I could not imagine a more peaceful or dignified way for my Grandy to go. Everyone should be so lucky to die this way. We were able to keep him comfortable but the pain falls to those of us left to go on without him.

My Grandy was a sharp dresser. He was a handsome guy. He smoked a pipe and the smell suited him like a nice cologne. He kept everything so neat. As a kid I would marvel at the things in the office room of his home. It seemed to be filled with treasures, well polished, and I wouldn’t dare touch anything. He kept his garage floor so clean you could’ve eaten off it. He kept pictures and mementos in there like it was just another room of the house that also stored cars. It was so weird and nice. Despite its pristine nature, nana and Grandy’s home has always felt so comfy to me. 


My Grandy always tried to convince me to play more golf. His argument was that it is a sport you can play for your whole life which is exactly what he did. He and my nana played so many rounds together over the years. They are my active grandparents. Grandy played every week with a group of buddies until his final year. He had a lot more rounds in him. 


My Grandy must’ve had a strong sense of self. In his family I’ve always felt he stands out as unique and I respect that. Even so, he’s all Dayringer. He was brave independent stubborn and prone to anger, just like me. Dayringers also have a great sense of humor and fun though and I saw that in him too, especially this past decade. I saw it always with his siblings and also with his sons in law and even with Craig. He liked Craig from the start which meant the world to me. 


My Grandy gave me the gift of going to college. Also just by his own example he set a precedent for education and for travel. My world always felt wide open because I knew these things were possible. 


My Grandy was a young 84 and it wish he was able to enjoy more years and that my nana was able to enjoy more years with him. The days ahead will feel and look and sound and smell different but we all carry him forward, in the memories we shared, the traits we have in common, the ways his life helped propel ours forward. I miss him. 


Grandy and me playing cornhole, Fayetteville, 2017
(he has much better form than me. muscle memory from horseshoes i guess) 

Craig, David, Grandy teeing up, FCC, 2017

me looking the most chaotic with Craig, Nana, Grandy, and Grandy's sister Judy, DC 2017
Grandy and me, DC, 2017


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend in Paris

France & Germany

Snow Days