Holidaze

In a very uncharacteristic move for me, I could not bring myself to plan a single thing for Christmas in Arkansas. Juggling the logistics, everyone's schedules and expectations, it just seemed like a lot for a person as brain-dead as I was after a full-throttle fall/December. All I really wanted to do was eat mac and cheese on the couch for two weeks. Fortunately, I was able to do plenty of that. As it turns out, a chill, unplanned two week at home suited me much better than I ever imagined.

It has been a weird year (the fall especially) for lots of my family so it was really good to be with everyone for some time. The picture below is my new favorite one of all my best people and an accurate account of my Christmas break at SuPa's (SuPa = Susan + Paul. I think they made up this nickname for themselves but anyway I use it a lot now).


Unfortunately all the children in our life are super old now so I don't even know what to do with them or what is cool. Except black nike socks with birks I think is cool? Or were the 13 year olds lying? I don't know. What I do know is how I've always been 1000% right that 31 is better than 13.

Family time included the obligatory trip to Crystal Bridges, Craig's introduction to Eureka Springs, so many games, a Razorback basketball game (GO HOGS!), porch swings, and my happiest activity for any and all times--long outdoor walks.

There was lots of daydreaming and downtown strolling and plenty of Onyx coffee and Whole Foods meals consumed. We caught up with old friends and Craig stayed out past 1am at Village Inn. One of my highlights was chatting with my cousin Mance who I wish I saw more often.

Bloopers include: my parents locking us out of their house (a supposed accident!), an unexpected overnight in New Jersey *on Christmas Day*, and Jill crying alone in her room while everyone else laughed it up in the living room, because her introvert bubble burst.

Overall I was not totally ready to get back to real life at the end of this break and the readjustment period took way longer than usual. The Ozarks in January are good for the soul.














Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekend in Paris

France & Germany

Snow Days